"Yeah, it's just like the Hunger Games except no one's trying to kill me".
--Abigail Salyers, age 13 (about END-FAR)
Family Adventure Races
Spring Race is over! see below for photos and results...
The Extreme North Dakota Family Adventure Races (END-FAR) are a partnership between ENDracing and Ground UP, designed to bring the experience of ENDracing's fabulous races to a younger group. The first event happened on October 7th, 2012, in Lincoln Park, GF, ND. We have added a spring family AR to the schedule at the fabulous Turtle River State Park, so there are now two ways to play!
So what should you expect? Racers will be treated to an 'adventure racing' style course where they need to find their way (navigate) to a number of checkpoints using map and compass. Maps will be provided at the beginning of the race. Racers will be allowed to use bikes to reach the checkpoints, but should be aware that many of them will require getting off the bikes and walking in order to locate them (ie they may be in a section of woods, etc). There will be somewhere between 10 and 20 checkpoints on the course and teams will attempt to get as many as possible in 2 hours. Racers should plan on the possibility of getting a little muddy and possibly a little wet. For an idea of what to wear and bring to the race, click HERE. Ground UP adventures has loaner compasses available on request. Still not sure? Check out the video below of the 2012 event and see what you're sure not to want to miss!
END-FAR1 (May 4th, Turtle River State Park, Arvilla, ND). Race is over!
- Start Location: Chalet at TRSP
- Race time: 1 pm to 3 pm
- Registration fee - $10 pp for kids 6 and older. Parents and 5 and under are free.
- Registration includes maps, a great adventure, post race refreshments, and a prize drawing. Loaner compasses will be available on a first come first served basis
- Additional info - ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE a vaild park pass. Due to the low cost of the event we cannot provide this as part of the registration fee. Vehicles can purchase a day parking pass for $5 as they enter the park.
END-FAR 2 (Oct 5th, Lincoln Park, Grand Forks, ND)
- Registartion fee - same as above
- Registration includes - everything above plus we provide paddling equipment and any climbing equipment required for the awesome mystery challenges!
- There will be two categories available in each event:
- - "Family Team" (comprising of at least one adult and any number of kids)
- - "Youth Team" (consisting of 2-4 youth aged 11-16)
Racers 10 and under must race on a Family Team. Racers 11-16 on a Youth Team must have parental consent in the form of a parent signature on the event waiver.
- Each race will be capped at 100 total racers.
- Online/early registration cost is $10 per youth racer (kids five and under and adults on family teams are free). Registration deadlines TBD.
- Race Day registration will be available (starting an hour before the race) at the race site for $15 per paying racer. Please try to register early!
NOTE: An Adventure Race is NOT a relay race! Teams are required to stay together (within 100 feet) the entire race. The sport teaches good communication, team-work, navigation, and of course promotes getting outside and discovering a great appreciation for this wonderful thing called nature.
Can't get enough? Want more practice navigating? Checkout Ground UP adventures semi-permanent Orienteering Course and expand your exploration of the wonderful Greater Grand Forks Greenway!